- Round-trip train ticket from London to Oxenholme
- Expert guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Lake cruise (summer only)
- Admission to Hill Top (summer only)
- Cream tea (scones and tea) at Lindeth Howe Country Hotel (summer only)
- Admission to Rydal Mount and Gardens (winter only)
- Cream tea (scones and tea) at Rydal Mount and Gardens (winter only)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Admission to the World of Beatrix Potter (option available in winter only)
What You Can Expect
Make your own way to London’s Euston Station, where you’ll pick up your round-trip train ticket and itinerary from a tour host. Should you wish, upgrade to travel in First Class for an even more comfortable ride. Then, board your train and relax on the journey out of the city and into the rolling hills of Cumbria.
After around 3.5 hours, arrive in Oxenholme. Meet a local guide, and then set off on your tour of the Lake District, where literary landmarks, hilltop trails, misty mountains and glittering lakes abound.
Travel north along Lake Windermere, the largest of the Lake District’s waterways. Gaze out over the still waters and drink in views of the surrounding hills and mountains as you journey toward Waterhead, where much-loved children’s author Beatrix Potter spent many of her school holidays. If your tour takes place between April and October, enjoy a leisurely cruise on the famous Lake Windermere.
Next, visit the medieval village of Hawkshead. Enjoy free time to wander the cobbled lanes, and see the Old Grammar School where Romantic poet William Wordsworth once studied. Perhaps recharge with lunch (own expense) at one of the local eateries, and then travel to Tarn Hows, a renowned beauty spot, for sweeping mountain and lake panoramas.
If you’ve taken your tour between April and October, continue to Hill Top, where Beatrix Potter dreamed up characters such as Tom Kitten and Jemima Puddleduck. Head inside the 17th-century farmhouse with your included ticket, and explore the rooms and garden independently. The house remains exactly as the author left it, with each room featuring details that appear in her books.
Then, continue to Lindeth Howe Country Hotel, once owned by Beatrix Potter, for a delightful cream tea before returning to Oxenholme Station for your train back to London.
Alternatively, if you’ve taken your tour between November and March, continue through the beautiful Yewdale Valley, passing Yew Tree Tarn and Skelwith Bridge, and arrive at Rydal Mount and Gardens, where Wordsworth lived from 1813 until his death in 1850. Explore the house and grounds with your guide before savoring a traditional cream tea.
Make your final stop at Bowness, where you’ll enjoy free time to visit the award-winning World of Beatrix Potter visitor center (own expense).When the time comes, join back up with your guide and return to Oxenholme Station for your train back to London.
Additional Important Information
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The train trip is approximately 3.5 hours each way
- Unfortunately children under the age of five years cannot be permitted on this tour, as the minivans are not fitted with child safety seats
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Products standard cancellable
Products with Viator standard terms and conditions are fully refundable, without charge, up to 48 hours prior to travel, based on the time/date of the Product Location.
Euston Station, central London
Returns to original departure point at approximately 9:30pm