Dover Shore Excursion: Post-Cruise Tour to London via Canterbury and Leeds Castle
- One-way transport by executive coach
- Entrance fees: Leeds Castle
- Port pickup and hotel drop-off at selected Heathrow Airport hotels and centrally located London hotels within zone 1
- Worry-free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees: Canterbury Cathedral
What You Can Expect
After you are greeted upon arrival at the Dover cruise port by your friendly guide, relax aboard an executive coach. You’ll drive above the famous White Cliffs and head into the county of Kent, an agricultural area that feeds London from its orchards, hop fields and vineyards. Enjoy the lovely views as you make the short, 45-minute journey to Canterbury, the seat of English Christianity since 597 AD.
See Canterbury with your guide, listening to stories about the history of the town and cathedral. You’ll hear medieval tales from Canterbury writers, Geoffrey Chaucer and Christopher Marlowe, as well as stories of the Reformation and the Blitz. Then, enjoy some free time exploring the town on your own and visiting Canterbury Cathedral if you wish (own expense)
After two hours in Canterbury, travel over the Weald of Kent – a high ridge – and head down to Leeds Castle, famously referred to as 'the loveliest castle in the world.’ Founded in the 9th century, it is best known as a palace for numerous queens of England. Along the way, hear fascinating commentary from your guide about the monarchs and the fate that befell them!
Spend three hours at the beautiful castle, set on two islands on a lake, and explore its remarkable interior as well as the grounds and gardens with your guide. Admire rooms such as the library and banquet hall, and be amazed by the one-of-a-kind museum of ornate dog collars! Outdoors, walk through the complicated maze and enjoy the grotto and water features. If you wish, dine on a leisurely lunch in one of the cafés or restaurants overlooking the grounds (own expense).
Then, board the coach and travel about an hour to London, heading into the city via Greenwich and the River Thames. Your guide will point out the Royal Naval College, the Queen's House, the historic Cutty Sark – a clipper ship – and the Royal Observatory as you cross the dateline and move officially from east to west.
Finally, pass over Tower Bridge into central London before drop-off at your chosen hotel, or stay aboard the coach for drop-off at Heathrow hotels.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Additional Important Information
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 12 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Confirmation for this tour will be received at time of booking
- If you are staying in a London Heathrow airport hotel, you will be dropped off at 6pm. For other London airport hotels you will be dropped at Victoria Station, where there are trains and buses to all four major airports
- At 4:30pm the Central London districts will be reached where you may be dropped off at hotels close to the following stations: Kensington, Bayswater, Paddington, Marble Arch, Mayfair, West End, Victoria, County Hall, Bloomsbury, Tower of London/London Bridge, Liverpool Street, Waterloo, Kings Cross, Regents Park, Maida Vale, Sloane Square and Knightsbridge
- Most major hotels have coach access, but some smaller hotels and apartments are in pedestrian areas or on very narrow roads that a large bus cannot access. In these cases, you will be dropped off as close to your accommodation as possible, but it may require a short walk with your luggage