Mayan Encounter Coba (eco Adventure)
Coba is an ancient Mayan village in the state of Quintana Roo. In its day, Coba was home to over 50,000 inhabitants and had gained economic control over the region, trading extensively with other Mayan communities in what is today known as Mexico, Belize and Honduras. The only access to this once a commercial city was through rough stone and plaster roads, known in Mayan as “Sacbé”.
Surrounded by two large lagoons, Coba boasts archeological wonders and is home to the tallest Mayan pyramid in the Yucatan region: the Nohoch Mul pyramid, which rises an impressive 140 feet (42 meters) height over the rainforest floor. You can climb all the way to the top and enjoy panoramic views of the miles of jungle that surround this archeological site.
A multilingual guide will give you an overview and history of the city and then you will be free to explore at your own pace. You will also have the opportunity to kayak or canoe in the beautiful lagoon, swim in the crystal clear cenotes and rappel above the Mayan jungle. Next stop is Chimuch, a small village, where you can observe how locals live, watch them make tortillas and you will be served an authentic homemade Yucatan buffet.
- Climb the tallest Mayan temple in the Yucatan Peninsula
- Visit a secluded Maya village and enjoy its well preserved natural beauties
- Rappel down thrilling cenotes and soar the canopy in breathtaking ziplines
- Transportation in air-conditioned van
- Multilingual adventure guide
- Mayan guides at locations
- Entrance fee to Coba
- Qualified archaeological guide in Coba
- Kayak or canoe
- Zip-line gear
- Alcoholic drinks
- Transportation to meeting place
What to Bring
- Comfortable Clothes
- Comfortable Shoes
- Insect Repellent (Biodegradable)
- Sunscreen Lotion (Biodegradable)
- Swimming Suit
- Hat or Cap
- Extra Cash (Pictures, Souvenirs, Tips & Personal Expenses)
- This expedition is not recommended for people with severe physical and motor handicap, or serious heart problems. It is not suggested for oversized people (over 264 pounds) or people who are not able to handle physical activity.
- It is definitely not recommended for pregnant women.
- Children under the age of 6 years old may participate under the responsibility and direct supervision of a responsible parent or family member.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT AN INFANT ON A CAR SEAT WILL NEED TO PAY A CHILD'S RATE BECAUSE OF THE USE OF A SPACE IN THE VEHICLE.
- People under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed to participate in this expedition.
- This excursion is subject to change. All holidays and special occasions, both Mexican and International, may affect operation as well as pricing, so please kindly contact us for information and confirmation.
Terms and Conditions
Policy of use of cameras
- Based on international safety standards and committed to ensure the wellbeing of all passengers, it is not allowed to use any photography or video cameras during the adventure activities, because at all times visitors shall remain with both hands free. This includes cameras type "point and shoot", SLR, cellular and disposable cameras and DSLR cameras.
- It is allowed the camera "action cam" style (Go Pro), only if it is assembled in a chest or head mount during the excursion. The use of mounted action cameras is not allowed in selfie sticks, wrist mount, hand mount or any other that is not chest or head mount.
- Journalists previously accredited by our public relations department are allowed to bring their own photo and video equipment. In such case, they will sign a special release form and use the press vest that identifies them as official media members.
- This policy seeks to ensure the safety of visitors, promoting they are concentrated in activities and have both hands free. In addition, this practice is part of our sustainability strategy, since it provides income for 77 local photographers. The Imaginative project (photography service at our expeditions) has generated jobs for native inhabitants who were leaving their communities and their traditions. As photographers, they found an artistic expression and a lifestyle that allows them to remain close to their family, and which is important too, the get to value the cultural and natural beauty of their surroundings.
Please confirm your reservation 48 hours in advance with the Olympus Tours agent at the hospitality desk of your hotel or call our offices in Cancun +52 (998) 881 9030.
Please remember: no refund, if unused.