Santa Maria de Montserrat Tour from Barcelona with Train Ride
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Expert guide
- Cog-wheel train ride
- Admission to Santa Maria de Montserrat
- Admission to Royal Basilica of Montserrat
- Entrance to Montserrat's audiovisual room
- Tasting of 4 typical liquors
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
What You Can Expect
Board an air-conditioned coach from the prearranged meeting point in central Barcelona and relax as you pass through Catalonia’s countryside on the journey to Montserrat. As you travel, listen to your guide share details about the region and its history, and discover why the craggy Montserrat mountain and its monastery have been among Spain’s most important pilgrimage sites since the 12th century.
On arrival at the foot of the multi-peaked mountain, board a cogwheel train and take in the natural vistas as you ride up the mountain. Learn how over the centuries wind and rain have shaped Montserrat’s striking pink rock face, and have your camera ready to capture the peculiar rock formations along with panoramas of Barcelona, Catalonia, and beyond.
After around 15 minutes, arrive at Santa Maria de Montserrat, the mountain’s Benedictine abbey. Explore the site with your guide, and discover how it plays an important role in the cultural and spiritual life of Catalonia during an audiovisual presentation.
Visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which is nestled next to the monastery, and see up close the sacred, 12th-century polychrome wooden carving of Our Lady of Montserrat, commonly known as La Moreneta (the Dark One).
After your tour, sightsee independently and visit the monastery’s shop to sample four local liquors.
When the time comes, return to your air-conditioned vehicle and journey back to Barcelona, where your tour concludes at the original departure point.
Additional Important Information
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants travel free provided they do not occupy a seat
- This is a large coach tour with a maximum of 50 participants
- Note that the La Escolania children's choir does not perform in the afternoon
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals
- Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold
Products standard cancellable
2:15pm (November to March)